Engulfed by a challenging situation or circumstance, it's hard to remember there is anything outside of that present despair or misery. Nothing seems like it could possibly be worse than the feelings or experience that you are going through during that. exact. time.
In college, Matt and I struggled with our long distance relationship (but who doesn't?!) and broke up a handful of times. Each breakup seemed like the "worst thing that could ever happen to me." I seriously would be overwhelmed by each breakup, thinking that nothing could possibly hurt more, nothing could ever be ok again, happiness would never be found. Drama queen? Yes, but I'd like to think I handled breakups in a fairly typical way. My point is that in that present moment, the breakup seemed to be the biggest hurdle in life that I would never forget or recover from. Looking back, I can actually laugh and see how each of those little drama filled breakups hardly register on the radar of life.
Unfortunately, it's hard to gain this perspective on moments occurring in the present. When I'm feeling stressed or overwhelmed by infertility (and feel, as a friend put it, like I am an ant and God is a magnifying glass, burning me again and again), it is consuming. However, I have complete faith that in 10 years, Matt and I will be happy with a couple of kids, trying to remember what it was like before they were born, during the IF years. In time, this, too, will just be a blip in the radar.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment